2006年12月31日

A difficult conversation

Yesterday when I was working, I got a call from somebody who I did not know. At first, I thought he was Chinese because I knew it was a call from GZ, therefore, I kept asking in Chinese who he was and why he called me. However, it was weird that I could not even understand a word when he spoke Chinese to me. As I was confused, a little bit angry, and even began doubting whether there was something wrong with my ear or not, he began to speak English. Then I knew he is not Chinese.

There was another question, though. That is, I could not understand his English. I originally thought he might be from Africa or other country whose native language is not English. Then he told me he was from North America. I was not sure whether he was a native English speaker; however, I did not think my English was so poor that I could not understand it at all. Anyway, the fact is I really could not understand him. There was no other way,I had to ask him to tell me his skype number and told him I would contact him on skype.

Later I knew that he was a friend who I chatted with several times long time ago. Maybe, it was because I wanted to practice my spoken English that I gave him my mobile phone number.


昨天上班的时候,我接到一个陌生的电话。一开始,我以为他是中国人,因为他的号码是广州的。因此,我一直用汉语问他是谁、有什么事。可奇怪的是,我竟然听不懂他说的汉语。我非常困惑,有点生气,甚至开始怀疑是不是我的耳朵出了问题,这时他开始说英语了,我这才知道他不是中国人。

尽管如此,可又出现了另外一个问题:我听不懂他说的英语。最初我以为也许他是非洲人,或者来自一个母语不是英语的国家。后来他告诉我他来自北美。我不知道他的母语是不是英语,但我不觉得我的英语差到一点儿也听不懂的地步。无论如何,事实是我确实听不懂他说的英语,没办法,我只好让他告诉我他的SKYPE号码,并告诉他我一会儿在SKYPE和他联系。

后来我才明白,很久以前,我和他在SKYPE上聊过几次,也许是因为当时我想练习英语口语才把手机号码告诉他的吧。

没有评论: