2007年1月20日

A Big Surprise


Yesterday Chris told me he was still worrying about making mistakes, actually so do I. I know about my reasons but I do not know about his reasons. I thought about it for a while last night but could not figure it out.

Just now, when I was reading some articles named Error Correction in English and The Language Zone posted on http://thelinguist.blogs.com/, I was surprised to find that one of reasons might be that I always like to correct and finish sentences. I call it “a surprise” because I always thought I should help others with learning Chinese and they would like to, took it for granted and I never thought it could be a problem. What is more I might even never thought about it cause I could not recall whether I really corrected many or not, I just recall that I really helped finish many sentences. To be honest, I felt bad when I should have wanted to help others but finally found it did not work, even probably led to some negative effects.

Why have I been doing this and not realized it? Besides taking pleasure in correcting and scarcely speaking English to others before, I think it might be also linked to the Chinese culture. Chinese people are taught to be modest and prudent since we were children. In order to achieve this goal, our parents often criticize us instead of praising us. Gradually, we get used to being criticized whilst criticize others. For us, it is much easier and more to criticize others than praise them. For me, in my learning English, I really get used to being corrected (from my teachers, my classmates, even my bf). I just thought it is natural and necessary. In addition, we sometimes tend to do something which we think it is good for someone in the way of ourselves’ thinking. Now I can imagine that how I might feel if someone else always corrects me when I am speaking English. J

It is just my thoughts.

5 条评论:

Unknown 说...

I don't think you correct too much :)

I think the worry about mistakes, is something in both of our cultures. When you are very young people let you make mistakes, then when you get older you get used to being criticised.

I think the biggest problem is within ourselves, but it does help when you know that the other person does not mind your mistakes. Also on Skype you cannot see the other person so you cannot give them an "encouraging smile" to make them relax.

I think the key thing that the linguist says is that you may correct somebody but they may not learn to do it properly straight away (takes me about three weeks ;)).

liulianxiaoyu 说...

I agree with you.

Anyway, I really never thought correcting others could be a question before. :)

As to nervousness, For me, besides the reasons you mentioned above, there is another reason. I wrote a letter to you yesterday but need to translate into English (I wrote it in Chinese in order to make me clear.) I tell about the reason in the letter. It might take a little bit long time to translate it , not only because it is a long letter, but also because I do not like translating from Chinese into English and it often makes me want to ram my forehead for a brick wall (Today read this phrase in your comments on www.chinesepod.com/forum. :)).

As for what you said "the key thing that the linguist says is that you may correct somebody but they may not learn to do it properly straight away (takes me about three weeks ;)). ", he really mentioned that he dislike being corrected. Maybe, I misunderstood him?

liulianxiaoyu 说...

BTW, is it correct to use "ram my forehead for a brick wall" here? I just want to say "撞墙(zhuang4 qiang2)" in English. :)

Unknown 说...

:):)
I might have typed it wrong I meant to say "ram through a brick wall" I made that up but an English speaker would understand.

The real phrase is "run into a brickwall" which means that you feel like you cannont make any progress.

There is also a phrase "stone-walled"
which usally means somebody or something has stopped you from progressing.

I guess these are both like you Chinese "stone wall". I think The Linguist was suggesting that corrections annoyed him unless he asked for them. But he was most annoyed when he was repeatedly corrected for the same thing.

liulianxiaoyu 说...

I get it. Thanks. :)